Tutorial - Father's Day Men's Wallet

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Every man needs a new wallet now & then. This one uses up his old, favorite shirts (which could be a good or bad thing I suppose...) I reclaimed two of my husband's that were unwearable but still had awesome fabric and made this simple wallet.  Perfect for Father's Day.


Materials:  One outside fabric 9.5" x 4.5"
 One inside fabric 9.5" x 4.5"
one piece fusible interfacing 9.5" x 4.5"
two pieces for pocket fabrics: 9.5" x 7.5" 9.5" x 5"


1. fuse interfacing to wrong side of exterior fabric (set aside)
2. fold over two pocket pieces lengthwise, right sides up - press


3. top stitch along folded edge of each pocket
4. place two pockets on top of each other. measure middle point & sew seam vertically - this creates the front card pockets

5. lay two pockets (now sewn together) on top of interior piece of fabric
6. pin & baste to keep in place

7. place interior piece (now with pocket pieces attached) on top of exterior piece (right side up)
8. pin in place & stitch around edges with 1/4" seam allowane
9. BE SURE to leave a 2.5" opening (backstitch at each opening point)
10. trim each corner at angle to make for easier turning

11. turn fabric right side out, gently pushing out corners to square point
12. press, press, press

13. Top stitch along entire rectangle of wallet, securely closing opening

14. fold in half & press again

15. fill with something wonderful & give away!

NOTES: measurements given are slightly varied from photos shown, only because I gave you the improved version ;)  I used wool exterior which I wouldn't recommend only because it pulled & created a slightly mishapen result. The pockets also could also use a light interfacing, especially if using lightweight materials.

QUESTIONS: Please ask! I'll gladly answer in the comments section. Have a suggestion or find an error? Please let me know that too :)

Happy Sewing!

12 comments :

Purely Paige said...

What a cool idea and you make it look so easy! I have my doubts that I could actually do it though! So I think I will just look at how cool yours turned out and wish I was as talented!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sue said...

I love your blog, thanks for the tutorial I am about to start one, I have a few questions:
What sort of interfacing do you recommend? - light, medium, heavy?
What sort do you use in your purses on your etsy they look like they have a good structure to them and wouldnt be too floppy?
Do you use padding as well or just iron on interfacing?

thank so much :}

Crafty Girls Workshop said...

I've been searching far and wide for a decent tutorial on how to make a men's wallet. Thanks for posting this, it looks like it will be just what I needed.

dolores said...

Made your wallet for my son for Christmas. I'm going to blog about it and cite your tutorial...thanks so much for sharing it!!:)

Sandra :) said...

I made 3 of these little guys today - they're soooooo easy! Now I can mark these two gifts off of my To Do list :D I posted a photo on my blog and linked to your post - thanks for the tutorial!

Leo said...

I was looking for wallets and stumbled upon your page and I must say the wallet you made looks awesome!

Wall-Itz? said...

This is so sick! I love the tutorial, I'll have to try it out soon... I reposted it in my blog as we'll to share it with other guys.

wallitz.wordpress.com

Sandra said...

Nice posting.
Thanks for sharing about Father's Day different types of Men's Wallet information with photos. I am always looking out for men's wallets

Unknown said...

I made this for my husband, and now my son wants one. I'm making one for each son for Christmas. I think I'm going to try it with a piece of suede in my scrap stash. Any tips on how to best do it with this?? Thanks a bunch!!

Dianne said...

Thank you so much for posting this tutorial. My husband has been asking me to make him a new wallet and I've been having trouble wrapping my mind around how to do it. Your instructions are clear and easy to follow and the wallet you made looks great!

Mamafredrick13 said...

What kind of wool did you use? (I know you said you don't recommend but my husband really likes it as is) I'm trying to order online and am not sure what the difference between the different wools is (if there is any). And what weight interfacing? Thanks, great tutorial!! Email: kaylynnandmarty@gmail.com